easy shop badge

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Mommy knitting

I love reading Elizabeth Zimmerman's books.  Its almost like having a conversation with her while she encourages you to take new challenging steps in your knitting adventures.  So in May I decided I was going to have a knitting adventure of my own.  I wanted a basic cardigan/ sweater jacket and I thought what better pattern to use than EZ's hurry up sweater pattern.  This was not my first time knitting on of EZ's hurry up sweaters I knitted one for my brother-in-law Beau a few years ago.  In fact when I bought I bought Cascade Eco for his sweater I bought enough so I could make at least two.
 
 
After I had calculated the number of stitches to cast on I started knitting, cheerfully thinking I was doing something I rarely did...knit for myself!
 





Since I was essentially designing my own sweater I decided to add a little shaping in back with some ribbing for couple of inches.  About this time I realized that I didn't have enough of the cascade eco to finish the sweater so I decided it could be a two tone sweater starting where I joined the sleeves.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Since I am an impatient person knit the sleeves two-at-a-time until they were too big to fit on my circular needle.
 
I am a plus size beauty so when this sweater was knitting up to be very large it did not cross my mind that it might be too big...So when I went to try it on in very warm coffee shop it was too big and I had to do something I very rarely do....rip back the sweater and try again and again and again....Around the 4th of July I declared my sweater finished.  It was still huge I will admit, but not as big as it was originally.  Then the idea floated into my head that maybe I should try to shrink it a little by lightly felting it....This was the death of my sweater.  I am now the proud owner of some very thick 100% wool felt.  I'm sure I'll use it eventually.

No comments: