easy shop badge

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fall Garden Clean Up

Today being a beautiful fall day I decided when after I got home from dropping Paul off at work that I would take time to clean up what had become of my summer garden. I yanked all the tomato plants out of their containers.

Lesson #1 Tomotaes needs LOTS of direct sunlight in order to grow and ripen into beautiful red globes for eating and canning.

Then I yanked the corn out of its container.

Lesson #2 Its a good idea to plant corn with enough room to grow...Space out the stalks and make sure there is also enough room for the roots.

Next it was time for the carrots. I should baby carrots. They were some what successful. Since there are about 20 primi baby carrots waiting to go into tonights soup and salad.

Lesson #3 Make sure your carrot container has enough root space and don't try to transplant them when thinning out.

After pulling out the tomatoes I found the basil plant that I had proudly made one batch of pesto from this summer. It looked very pitiful..I'm hoping it will make a come back for next summer's bounty.

Lesson #4 Don't hide your basil plant under the huge tomato plant.

Then I looked into my dedicated herb container and looked at 4 foot tall plant that used to be a small stevia start. I clipped about 2 feet off the top and brought the leaves inside to dry so I could sweeten my tea without going to the artiful sweetener. I'll let you how that turns out. I might make some mint stevia tea since I have a great mint plant down in the front yard.

Final Lesson - Keep a gardening journal with the dates that you had planted things so you know when to expect to harvest your crops.

I think I will try to plant some spinach for the winter. I'm open to any suggestions for a winter garden.


Well I have turkey soup to make now. Dinner is calling and the load of laundry that needs washing also....

No comments: